Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Charlotte Hagerty Intro

Hello! My name is Charlotte Hagerty and I am from Harding, New Jersey, which is a bustling metropolis that houses one restaurant and a post office as its sole businesses. I have two older brothers who attended Williams College and Georgetown University. I also have a younger sister who is a senior in high school and is hoping to come to Duke next year. I went to a small all-girls high school whose mascot was the “lady dragon” (which is admittedly strange).  Going from a class of 67 girls to 1,500 people has definitely been an adjustment, but in the best sort of way. English and history were my favorite classes in high school, so I am excited to continue to hone my writing skills.
I am, of course, primarily interested in this class as a Disney fan. The soundtrack to my childhood was a combination of “Part of Your World” and “A Whole New World” which, to my mom's chagrin, I would play over and over again on the white boombox I kept in my bedroom. I have taken three visits to Walt Disney World and one to Disneyland and would love to take another.  However, I am also interested in this class a sceptic. In my first semester at Duke I have become disillusioned by some of our current systems, specifically that of the corporate consolidation that thrives under neoliberalism. Disney, however successful they are at hiding it, is a prime example of such consolidation. Humans do not tend to question those things that bring them joy, however it is a necessary act to remain cognizant of what we accept as truth. I look forward to continuing to question what I know this semester and how it is shaped by seemingly harmless factors such as Disney.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rose #Shelfie