Sunday, April 7, 2019

Chris Theodore, Disney's The Lion King Response

via GIPHY


We all need a little bit of Timon in our lives...

It had been a LONG time since I watched The Lion King. The main memory I had that was related to the movie was when I was younger and singing on our new karaoke machine. Yes, the song was Hukuna Matata. After this whole semester of diving deep into Disney movies, this one was a great one to end on. From a story that is like the hero's journey, to the ever-so symbolic Disney villain, and just I mean ANIMALS. I personally found it harder to find anything controversial with the film, maybe mainly due to the fact that all the characters were animals. 

Though, I did find it easier to relate parts of Sundiata to the movie. Zazu is pretty much the griot of the story, there is separation and a coming to of the throne, the death of a father, the jealously of a family member, and to name another, the recruitment of evil witches in the form of hyenas. 

However, just because I found it harder to find controversial things doesn’t mean I didn’t find any. Should I start with Scar hitting women? The continuation of Africa’s single story of just being this desert land with a couple jungles and exotic animals? Or the creation of otherness with the hyenas? For the latter, I find this movie hard to hold a firm root in its moralistic emphasis as even though they encourage this balance with the earth and everyone who is a part of it, they still separate society and create significant difference. If I was a child watching this film again, I wouldn’t want to be with anyone who was like a hyena. Moreover, on the topic of hyenas… what is up with making one of them seem to have a mental disability? Actually, I feel like saying “seem” doesn’t do it justice as they make Ed laugh like crazy, his eyes can’t focus on anything, and for goodness sakes, he is the one biting his leg in the end. Yes, sure, it creates humor for the film… but at the cost of making fun of those with actual mental disabilities? I really REALLY hope this gets addressed and changed in the upcoming live-action as mental health and mental illness is such a heavy topic in societal climate currently. 



Going back to Scar hitting women, that’s an oof. I am happy that they associate this with the bad and evil though, because it does help differentiate right from wrong at least in my eyes. Lastly, the portrayal of Africa I feel just robs the land of its dignity and diversity. In the film, we just see the exotic animals, a desert, couple jungles, and some grasslands. This just continues to reinforce the audience’s beliefs and imageries when they hear the word: Africa.

Overall, I did love The Lion King. The songs are great, the love tale proves that it is possible to get out of the friend zone, the conquering of evil, and really talks about the power of legacy. I am going to miss having films to watch as homework. This, however, was a great one to end on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Rose #Shelfie